The Historic Preservation Alliance, The Old North End Neighborhood, & Bike Colorado Springs
invite you to attend an exciting summer event, June 23, 2018!
Event: “A Glimpse of History: Glen Eyrie, Home of William Jackson Palmer, Enlightened Developer and Philanthropist”
When: Saturday, June 23, 2018
Rider Limit: We are keeping this event at 25 registered riders for safety and enjoyment of the group
Time: 8:00am until ~1:45pm
Ride Start/Finish location: America the Beautiful Park Located downtown at 126 Cimino Dr. south of Colorado Ave., north of Cimarron St, east of I-25; best access south off Colorado Ave.
Destination: Glen Eyrie
- $6 per person—Castle Tour
- $6 per person—Guided Hike
- Free—Walking or biking the trails in the Castle vicinity
- 8 a.m.—Cyclists only: Meet at and depart from America the Beautiful Park for Glen Eyrie
- 9 a.m.—Gatehouse—Motorists & cyclists check in for directions to the Carriage House.9:15 a.m.—Welcome to cyclists and motorists at the Carriage House
- 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.—Tour of the Castle.10:30 to 10:45 a.m.—Bathroom/water break. Water is provided.
- 10:45 a.m.—Hikers gather at the Carriage House—“Geology & Ecosystems:” A guided 2 hour hike on the Palmer Trail is rated as easy to moderate with some loose rock. (Ages 12 & up.)
- 12:45 p.m.—Approximate time hike ends.
- 1 p.m. (Bicycles will depart Glen Eyrie for America the Beautiful Park on second portion of the “New Loop.”)
An event for the family (12 and older). Families are invited to cycle or to Glen Eyrie to enjoy a variety of opportunities described above. The ride will take the new connection on the Midland Trail, up 31st across the historic Rock Ledge Ranch property (dirt trail with some sandy spots) to Glen Eyrie. If planning to hike, riders should wear or bring sturdy shoes, bring a hat, a hiking stick and enough water for the hike. If riders do not want to take part in the tour/s, they can choose to pedal the various roadways around the Glen Eyrie campus, taking in the beauty of this historic property.
Questions: Cyclists contact Allen Beauchamp at firstname.lastname@example.org